We always like organic and homemade things, they are healthier! Can you believe 100% of the processed foods in supermarkets? I can’t! Next, learn how to make herbal oils. They are healthy and easy to make.
Herbal medicine is very popular in Asian countries such as China and India. Whether you are sick or not, herbal medicine can help you keep healthy better. Making herbal oil is a better way to preserve herbs. If you are interested, we will learn everything about it now!
- 10 Reasons to Choose Organic Foods: Why Are They Healthier
- Detox drinks: experts reveal the truth
- What happens to your body when you eat carrots every day?
Which oils go with which herbs?
Edible oils and herbs are an ideal pair: herbs contain essential oils and fat-soluble flavourings, and edible oils can absorb and preserve these volatile substances. In addition, the vitamin E contained in the oils as a natural antioxidant increases the shelf life.
Suitable base oils are sunflower oil, maize germ oil, safflower oil, safflower oil, rapeseed oil and soya oil. They taste relatively neutral and can be flavoured with all herbs.
Ingredients such as lemon, lime peel and dried mushrooms go well with grape seed oil. Strong aromatic herbs such as mint, oregano, rosemary, thyme, basil, chilli peppers, bay leaves and garlic harmonise best with a cold pressed olive oil.
Preparation of herbal oils
The herbs are washed and very carefully patted dry because remaining moisture clouds the oil. For woody herbs such as thyme, rosemary and sage, squeezing helps to increase the aroma yield. The herbs and spices come in a clean and dry bottle that is easy to seal and are completely poured with the oil of choice.
After two to three weeks the oil is flavoured. Now it must be filtered off, this works well with a coffee filter. The new bottle is labelled (name of the oil and date of manufacture) and the seasoning oil is ready for use.
You may also like: For Health: Remove 7 Ingredients from Your Food
The use of herbal oils
Herbal oils can be used for more than just flavoring. For example:
- Body massage
- The skin
- Ease the pain
- Drive midge
Different formulas can have different effects, and before you use herbal oils, it’s important to know the ropes.
Herbal oils for mosquito repellents and massages are usually available online.
This article mainly describes the herbal oil used for eating, and yes, it can be made at home. It’s like putting herbs in wine. It’s very simple.
Health risk from home-made oils?
Never use more herbal oil than you can consume within a short time. Because when storing homemade herbal oil – as well as vegetables pickled in oil – there is a risk that the bacterium Clostridium botulinum will multiply.
This can lead to the formation of botulinum toxin, a nerve toxin that can trigger botulism in humans. This is a serious disease that initially manifests itself in symptoms such as nausea and vomiting and, in the worst case, can lead to respiratory paralysis and suffocation. In the USA and Canada, such outbreaks have been reported mainly after eating garlic in oil.
To reduce the risk of multiplication of Clostridium botulinum, the ingredients should always be thoroughly washed and dried before they are added to the oil. However, this cannot guarantee a complete removal of the germs.
Therefore, you should also consider the following tips:
- The water content in the wort oil should be kept as low as possible, the acidity content as high as possible.
- The oil should always be stored in the refrigerator, as the bacteria can multiply less at low temperatures.
- With a longer period of time, the risk of the development of botulinum toxin increases. Therefore, eat the oil as quickly as possible.
- If the oil is heated strongly before consumption, for example when used for frying and cooking, any toxins may be inactivated.
Recipe suggestions for seasoning oils
- Parsley oil: Add a bunch (50 to 75 grams) of smooth parsley and a teaspoon of salt per 100 millilitres of grape seed oil or thistle oil. Parsley oil is suitable for all green and mixed salads as well as tomato salad; also for fried fish fillets.
- Chili oil: Here, three red chillies, which you have destemmed and deseeded, are cut into small pieces. Add 100 millilitres of soybean oil. This oil is particularly suitable for chilli con carne, Asian vegetable dishes and grilled marinades.
- Grilled oil: Each branch of rosemary, oregano, thyme and sage, a clove of garlic (peeled), a chilli pepper, some mustard seed and some coriander grains become a delicious marinade with 100 millilitres of olive oil.
The meat is placed in the oil one hour before grilling. Delicious is also pickled sheep’s cheese, which is grilled in aluminium foil. The oil also fits perfectly with lamb dishes. Attention: Always drain the meat well before placing it on the grill!
Herbal oil for short roasts
The following herbal oil is suitable for everything short roasted. Here the following ingredients give 100 milliliters of olive oil the spice:
- one sprig each of thyme, sage and rosemary with or without flowers
- one borage leaf and one laurel leaf each
- one clove of garlic (peeled)
- one teaspoon coloured peppercorns
Try other combinations as well: New blends will give you new taste experiences. There are no limits to your imagination!