Older, in addition to tooth loss, many other dental problems have begun to trouble the elderly. There are 6 main performances in aging teeth.
1.Sensitive The tooth structure is enamel, dentin and dental pulp from the outside to the inside. Enamel is the hardest part of the tooth, thinner than dentine and non-renewable. Physiological abrasion and enamel damage formed by chewing food all year round exposes dentin and causes sensitivity.
2. Defects. Long-term incorrect brushing causes enamel defects, which are located on the neck of the teeth and often involve multiple teeth. Severe defects form a puncture point, which can evolve into pulpitis, and even aggravate periapical inflammation, which can cause severe pain. Many elderly patients seek medical treatment.
3. Matte. Old people’s oral environment often causes mineralization of teeth. It can cause loss of enamel and dentin is directly exposed to acidic conditions. The teeth are therefore brittle, cracked, and discolored and lose their luster.
4. Gingival swelling. With age, the oral glands shrink, saliva decreases, and self-cleaning ability deteriorates. If the elderly people have residual food in their mouths, bacteria can easily multiply on the teeth, increasing the incidence of dental caries and periodontal disease.
5. Loosen. Periodontal disease is often first manifested as dental calculus, that is, calcium produced by oral food debris and bacterial accumulation. Dental calculus can cause swelling and bleeding of the gums. Once periodontitis develops, gingival recession, alveolar bone resorption, and loosening of teeth occur. The old people not only lost their teeth, but also the risk of massive destruction of the jaws.
6. Bad breath. Periodontitis has irreversible damage to teeth and gums. It is not treated in time and can easily cause systemic diseases. Elderly people suffering from chronic diseases need special attention. Bad oral hygiene can cause the body to become infected for a long time and aggravate systemic diseases. A large number of bacteria can also cause bad breath and bad breath in the mouth. The old people have a low self-cleaning ability and the oral odor is more serious.
Proper oral care can largely avoid the above situation. The old man must brush his teeth in time and correctly, twice a day, choosing high quality creams and toothbrushes. Every brushing for at least 3 minutes, pay attention to the bristles and the tooth surface is 45 degrees, rotating the brush head up and down brush, do not brush horizontally back and forth. The elderly person applies dental floss or flat plastic toothpicks after meals and should not use too much force. When eating shell foods that are too hard, you can use tools to use less teeth to bite directly. Daily use of mouthwash can reduce the production of harmful bacteria and prevent various oral problems.
The elderly should also eat more vegetables, fruits, coarse grains, dairy products and other “dental foods”, away from drinks, snacks, betel nuts and tobacco, regular oral examination. If there is periodontal disease, be sure to go to a regular hospital and do not buy your own medicine to prevent delays in the condition and cause more serious damage.